[nflug] Webchat for Linux

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 11:39:45 EDT 2006

> BUT bigger question - are there any webchat enabled IM apps for Linux?
> They have to work with Linux AND windows since my spouse will have only a windows laptop to use!

<snip>
http://www.gnomemeeting.org (now called ekiga) ,it is compatible with
Windows Messenger, Netmeeting, SJPhone, Eyebeam, X-Lite, ... or also the
Asterisk popular IPBX, as well as any other commercial or Open Source
IPBX. I have had gnomemeeting working with netmeeting, it worked well
unless you had a router on one end or both, if it was on one end, it was
a matter of who called who. </snip>

I did get to Ekiga eventually (I started with gnomemeeting but it was "behind the times") and I was able to place a call from either netmeeting to Ekiga or vice versa and the webcam from Linux worked, since the other webcam was DOA I could not test a true 2 way webchat.  Also the problem I am having with my mic in alsa with SB live is not "fixed" but worked around by using the built in mic on the webcam!  I used skype with the dsp hack to enable a second sound source and ekiga test works great for seeing if I am getting audio working!  Finally figured out xawtv as well to test (had to use -nodga) and also found camorama which will snap photos etc.  Also 'motion' for capturing anything moving in the image as a snapshot (home monitoring).

Once the driver works there is a pretty wide selection of software - again some looking and digging and dead ends but still nice to have gotten it working.

The Yahoo messenger client in windows has a webcam plugin but the same is not true (at least in GAIM) for the linux side - at least I haven't found a Yahoo messenger client that has a webcam app for linux yet - ayttm seems promising (sort of a everybuddy update I guess)

Thanks again

JJN