[nflug] Edubuntu

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Jun 22 11:35:13 EDT 2006

instead of dual-booting your machines have you thought about using
thin-clients instead? when you need to run windows apps you can connect
to a win2k server via rdesktop. this might make you administrative life
much easier.

there is a fairly large segment of people running ubuntu on sun's sunray
thin-client system. the sunray software is free unless you want support
and you can pickup the sunray thin-clients on ebay starting a $5.00.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuOnSunRay

eric wrote:
> Just some FYI, as some of you may know or have figured out ;) I work at
> school as a systems administrator and have been trying to integrate
> linux into our classrooms because well ..to put it generically it's
> simply feasible on many levels.
> For the past month I have been listening to some talk about Ubuntu from
> this list, so I decided to check it out and saw that Ubuntu also has a
> distro called Edubuntu ...finally thrilled ...that a community did all
> the work at putting together an Educational packaged GNU/Linux nice!
> This Summer I am testing a dual boot with the default as Edubuntu in our
> Library the other boot M$.
> So far I have had to do simple things like installing flash and java to
> the browser and create an easy to get to login for Samba shares on our
> network ...how silly... Linux samba clients connecting to Linux Samba
> servers using Openoffice to open and save everything as word, excel and
> powerpoint ...it brings a tear to only one eye.
> The distro comes with so much educational sofware that it might calm the
> need for expensive software that may or may not work with wine.  I have
> been encouraging our teachers to look for online educational software
> that simply uses a browser, and have asked them to let me review the
> site to make sure it's not using ASP and locked into IE.
>
> If I could only find K-12 biology software I think we'd be set.
>
> Thanks for the Ubuntu talk.

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Cognigen Corporation