[nflug] Edubuntu

eric eric at bootz.us
Thu Jun 22 11:23:15 EDT 2006

Just some FYI, as some of you may know or have figured out ;) I work at
school as a systems administrator and have been trying to integrate
linux into our classrooms because well ..to put it generically it's
simply feasible on many levels.
For the past month I have been listening to some talk about Ubuntu from
this list, so I decided to check it out and saw that Ubuntu also has a
distro called Edubuntu ...finally thrilled ...that a community did all
the work at putting together an Educational packaged GNU/Linux nice!
This Summer I am testing a dual boot with the default as Edubuntu in our
Library the other boot M$.
So far I have had to do simple things like installing flash and java to
the browser and create an easy to get to login for Samba shares on our
network ...how silly... Linux samba clients connecting to Linux Samba
servers using Openoffice to open and save everything as word, excel and
powerpoint ...it brings a tear to only one eye.
The distro comes with so much educational sofware that it might calm the
need for expensive software that may or may not work with wine.  I have
been encouraging our teachers to look for online educational software
that simply uses a browser, and have asked them to let me review the
site to make sure it's not using ASP and locked into IE.

If I could only find K-12 biology software I think we'd be set.

Thanks for the Ubuntu talk.