[nflug] Meeting this saturday, June 17 2006, 1:30pm at ITT

vlok stone vlokstone at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 12:14:05 EDT 2006

  Well, Mark and Dave are also good with Asterisk.
Dave mentioned one of my pet peeves, each phone or
docs seems to call the same thing by different names.
Some phones want you to point to the server and some
to a proxy. Same thing!! And that's where gets things
confusing.
Trunks= the VoIP providers server ( they like to call
it trunks because it sound sooo telco-ish, some call
them routes). Bascially you're pointing to a service
on a server whether it's sip or iax, like a ssh,vpn or
anything else.
Extensions=phones or menus or applications (like
voicemail) connected to your server (you could point a
phone directly to the provider)

When using Ast at home (or TrixBox as they're now known
as) they like to use Macros, which are like scripts
and have their own language. This adds a layer of
complexity that needn't be there, like when some
distros get too fancy for their own good (I think Mark
was opining on this recently).

 In short, there are only 2 essential files that need
configuration. Extensions.conf and either sip.conf or
iax.conf (depending on the phone used). If you're
looking to setup trixbox I'd suggest going to Nerd
Vittles. They have tons of Ast at home/TrixBox howto's.
But you won't ever see what's happening below the ice,
unless you make a copy of the files a do a diff on
them.

I'd be more than happy to help anyone get their
Asterisk up and running. I plan on coming. So, anyone
who wants to get Asterisk going bring their box.
Kernel
headers/source may be required.

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

> hubbardr at adelphia.net wrote:
> > There's no hockey game this Saturday, so i'm sure
> lot's of people can come to the meeting
> >
> > There are a couple of things we may be able to do
> at ITT, and we may be able to do it this month, or
> at the latest, next month.
> >
> > We just switched the hard drives in all our
> computers to SATA.  So far, no big deal, but we have
> some of the old machines still hanging around.
> These machines have removable hd bays, where it is a
> simple matter to swap hard drives in a machine.  We
> also have extra drive bays.  What this means, is
> that either this month or next month, we will be
> able to pass out the drive bays, and the drive
> enclosures.  This way, you can set up a linux box at
> home, and instead of bring in the entire box, just
> remove the hd, and slip it into one of the machines
> we have. (linux doesn't seem to have a problem with
> radical hw changes between boots)
> >
> > There is also the matter of what do we want to
> talk about... I have a couple of ideas, but if
> someone has something they want to discuss, then we
> can do that for a topic.
> >
> > No word on food.  This may be a little short
> notice.
> >
> > let me know what you want..
> >

> I would vote for an asterisk meeting. I could bring
> a box, have asterisk
> installed, have an account ready to go, etc.. I
> can't make heads or
> tails of all the different asterisk at home releases
> and the docs that
> aren't relevant to said releases. I know all the
> configs are under
> /etc/asterisk but as far as setting up extensions,
> trunks! This is when
> the WTF's!!!! start to fly.
>   I know we have done asterisk meetings before but
> they never really got
> off the ground. I would imagine Kevin (vlok stone)
> to be the most
> learned asterisk user on the list but I could be
> wrong. Would you be
> able to make the meeting Kevin?

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
- Mohandas Gandhi