[nflug] Samba Time Sync. (Always ask Dr. Who!)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 08:57:52 EDT 2006

I've used Tardis in the past for NT and win machines.  The client (K9) can set
time from different types of time servers, local or remote.  The Tardis piece
can act as a server or client.  It's shareware and very easy.

I used it in a Win95/NT environment back in 1999 and it appears to still be
around!

K9 the time getting only piece also has a linux version it appears!

http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/tardis.htm

Tardis is a shareware utility for Windows that makes sure your PC’s clock
tells the right time. It can find out what the right time is in various ways
including accessing Internet-based Atomic Clocks, using networked timeservers,
GPS (The Global Positioning System), Radio clocks, and by listening for time
broadcasts over a LAN.

The Service version of Tardis 2000 runs as a Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 "service",
just like other services that come as standard with Windows.

The application version of Tardis 2000 does the same thing for Windows
95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.  There is also a version for Win 3.x.

Both versions act as both a server and client for the supported protocols. I.e.
they can get the time from a timeserver with the ‘correct’ time and then
make the ‘correct’ time available to local clients.

Tardis 2000 running on a central server can be used as a master time source for
the domain by running the appropriate version of Tardis or K9 on the other
workstations.

If you are a Tardis user on a LAN take a look at K9 for an easy way to
synchronize many PCs at once