[nflug] Mame Distribution

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Fri Jun 9 10:15:20 EDT 2006

*big snip*

All,

I've re read Mark's messages and it occurs to me that his problem is likely
not what everyone is thinking it is. Here is how I see his problem:

1) He is running what amounts to an arcade machine using the MAME emulator.
2) He is not using X, ALSA or other "modern" api's to access his graphics
card. He may or may not want to use some form of X based programs but he
will not be running MAME under X. Most mame packages for modern os's other
than Debian, Slackware and Gentoo make the core assumption that Mame will
run under X or in dosbox.
3) He is looking to run a traditional Frame Buffer based system. That is
direct access to his video and audio hardware. This is not a configuration
that is well supported in ANY modern distribution. That's the problem.
4) It is my suspicion, but I cannot prove, that Mame needs some serious
tender loving care to run in Linux in frame buffer mode. I found this
website that may very well help:

<http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/linux.htm>

5) The web site suggests that the core libs he will need are: Kernel dev
tool chain and source, SVGALib (and not SDL. SDL tends to conflict with
SVGALIB unless both are compiled from source), and possibly some proprietary
video drivers.

So perhaps his problems are best solved by following the above website and
selecting either Gentoo or Mandrake if he wants to move away from Slackware.
I should note that given his issues with ubuntu, debian is probably not the
best choice for him.

HTH

Sam S.