[nflug] mplayer question

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Sun Jul 30 16:52:34 EDT 2006

Cyber Source wrote:
> anthonyriga wrote:
>> I am running mplayer fedora 5. I want a certain
>> webpage http://www.rai.it/ to use realplayer instead
>> for mplayer to play .rm files how do I change these
>> defaults? I look in firefox but can find anywhere to
>> change. Any suggestions? Thanks!

> edit, preferences, downloads, view & edit actions. If your going to
> change the action per site, remove one if you already have it in there
> and then leave it to ask you, this way you can change the action on
> the fly per web site, etc..

Actually, it's a little trickier than that for FC5. You have to install
an mplayerplug-in version that disables the RealMedia. See here -
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#MPlayer

 From the site:
"Thomas Chung of FedoraNEWS.org <http://fedoranews.org/> has kindly made
an Mplayer plugin rpm build available for Fedora Core 5 which is
"RealMedia disabled" (including the SMIL and OGG Mime Types) so that it
will not conflict with your RealPlayer installation. To obtain this
Mplayer plug-in for playing web-embedded movies and multimedia in your
web browser install Mplayer as described above and make sure your sound
card is configured properly for it, then open Firefox, go to
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayerplug-in/3.25/ and download (save to
disk) mplayerplug-in-3.25-1.fc5.i386.rpm
<http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayerplug-in/3.25/mplayerplug-in-3.25-1.fc5.i386.rpm>.
This should save the file to your home folder. If it saves the file to
your desktop instead go to your desktop and drag the file into your
"Home" folder. (Left mouse click on the file and drag it on top of your
"Home" folder while holding the left mouse button down. Then release the
mouse button.) Then open the terminal."
--
Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source