[nflug] XEN

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 26 22:21:56 EDT 2006

Robert Meyer wrote:
> Xine and Kaffeine look for the Win32 codecs in /usr/lib/win32 or
> /usr/local/lib/win32...  Depends on the install.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Bob

Thanks for the tip, I know I knew that at one point and spaced it here.
Looking, I found them (codecs) in /usr/lib/win32, and added a win32
directory to /usr/local/lib/ and copied the codecs to there also for
good measure, but still no dice with xine (as I also now recall once
knowing that kaffeine uses the xine engine, thanks for that one, too).
Not sure what's going on there.

I guess since mplayer will play most things, I shouldn't worry about it,
and play dvds on a different system that hasn't been branded and broken
for the nonce.

  > on second thought if you choose OpenSuSE stick with 10.0 and wait
  > until 10.2 so they can fix everything that novell forced them to
push > out the door.

I think I sort of expected suse to go all to shit once novell glommed on
to it in a last desperate effort to stay alive. But by then I had been
using it long enough to be more or less comfortable with it and want to
keep on using it. Actually, thinking about it, 8.2 (where I started with
suse) was a kind of crazy wrestling match as well. Perhaps that's why I
like it - it's always broken just enough to keep things interesting.

I did get google earth going here (suse 10.1) recently, which is pretty
sweet, particularly since GoogleEarthLinux.bin appeared BEFORE the mac
client.

Thanks,
S.