[nflug] mt

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jul 25 16:06:02 EDT 2006

eric wrote:
> Funny thing, I can rewind my tape(mt -f /dev/st0 status), but when I try
> to erase I get this error
>

> The Command->      mt -f /dev/st0 erase
> The Error->              mt: /dev/st0: Input/output error
>
> any clues?
> thanks,
> eric
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>

>> eric wrote:
>>

>>> I was wondering, does this status look good, the zeros mean success
>>> right? But should I be worried about Density code(unknown)?  This is my
>>> first attempt to use linux to back up on a magnetic drive I used
>>> ntbackup before, so I kinda need some help.  Should I be using /dev/st0
>>> instead? Thanx, eric.
>>>

>>> MYHOSTNAME:/# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
>>> drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
>>> drive status = 1073741824
>>> sense key error = 0
>>> residue count = 0
>>> file number = 0
>>> block number = 0
>>> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x40 (unknown).
>>> Soft error count since last status=0
>>> General status bits on (41010000):
>>>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

>> From the st man page...
>> /dev/st*  : the auto-rewind SCSI tape devices
>> /dev/nst* : the non-rewind SCSI tape devices

I have one scsi tape drive that works well (FINALLY) and one that still
isnt working. The one that is, is a dds4 and the one that isnt is a dds2
(tapes that is). Reading the man pages on mt and st are enough to get
the WTF??!! response out of me. Cleaning the drive is very important,
make sure you have a cleaning tape and run it. It may be incompatible
media, etc.. Make sure you have the right media and the bs is set right.
And when/if you find some clues to it, clue me in will ya? lol Thanks.
If I manage to get to the one that isnt working (when the guy pays me, I
might look into it further) and I figure it out, I will let you know.