[nflug] Disk Image/Restore

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jul 25 09:04:12 EDT 2006

Frank Kumro wrote:
> Is there a way to create a single image of a hard drive in linux? This
> hard drive is 4gb and I need the backup because I want to transfer the
> image to a new (larger) hard drive and then expand that partition to
> take up the whole drive. Now this is not my computer its a companies
> windows 98 machine, its beyond me why a company is using windows 98.
> In windows there is Acronis True Image 9 which appears to do what I
> want however I would have to use a family members machine to do that
> (since I dont run windoze). So is there any way in linux to do this?
> Thanks in advance !!

You could use tar being that it is 98 and most likely on a FAT32
partition, you could do it all from within Linux itself. Just tar up the
whole mount. 98 didn't have all the freakin hardware id's so it won't
bork when booting up on different hardware. What you will have to do
when you first boot it is clear the mbr, so, boot up the new 98 drive
after you've untarred it onto your new drive with a 98 ebd, get to a dos
prompt and type "fdisk /mbr", after a reboot, all should be well.