[nflug] Wiping hard drive sensitive personal data

Brad Bartram brad.bartram at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:20:34 EDT 2006

That's actually the concept behind the common criteria evaluations.  It used
to be the Rainbow Series of books that defined security practices.

One of the big problems with a centeral certification authority is that in
the case of Sarbanes-Oxley, there is no defined practice that codified in
the act.  It all comes down to interpretation of intent and individual
reading of the law as interpreted by administrative organizations.  It's all
that fun theoretical legal stuff that has no clear answer and is really only
one step closer to reality than Kant or Neitzche.

Until we actually get some good case law on the subject, it will be next to
impossible to get an authoritative certification body without industry
consensus.  Right now the industry can't decide on how it wants to handle
cascading style sheets on internet web sites without divergent
implementations - I don't have real high hopes for an effective working
group on comprehensive security practices.

But that's just my take on the subject.  Then again, I tend to be
pessimistic about these things.

brad