[nflug] it's that time of month again

Len Thornton len at lenthornton.com
Mon Jul 10 21:20:43 EDT 2006

Richard,

A project I've had on my plate for a few months might make an interesting demo.
I stumbled across a WiFi access point with management features that is integrated in a RH 8.0 Linux distro.  LessNetworks.com is free, with minimal system requirements and I'm looking to add it to my services offerings for some tourism-based clients.

Allows for free, branded WiFi with bandwidth throttling, blacklisting abusers by MAC address, etc.  Looks fairly robust and the price is right - free.

I can scare up an old Pentium II and a few NICs.  I don't have a spare wireless access point lying around.  Could bring my Netgear from home.  Already downloaded the ISO and burned a copy.

My Linux setup experience is rather meager - a few Ubuntu setups and administering a RH 9.0 server for a few years.  Assistance may be necessary.  Install notes are at http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/07/10/smallb1.html

Would this project be of interest to anyone else?

Len Thornton

Richard Hubbard <hubbardr at adelphia.net> wrote: Next saturday, july 15, is the third saturday of the month.  I am
willing to hold a meeting at ITT, should anyone be interested.

OTOH, in the last two months, not including myself, we have averaged 1
person per month.

Now I have an idea how Bob felt.

If you are interested in coming to a meeting this saturday, post a reply.

Yes i understand that some people can't make it on saturday. The
building is already being used each night until 11:00 pm, and I don't
think we can get too many takers to have a meeting at midnight.

I'm already working on saturday, and it is much easier for me to stay
after work and have the meeting rather than come in on sunday.

TOPIC
I was thinking about a possible cd exchange of various distro's.
Someone posted that they have a Fedora 5 distro.  If we can get enough
people to bring in a few distros, we might be able to do some burning.
Other ideas are welcome

Len Thornton

Office: (716) 778-9376
Cell: (716) 553-9240