[nflug] Samba 3 and Cups

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Jul 10 08:21:29 EDT 2006

Justin Bennett wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
>    I just switch a server over to Redhat 3ES (was 2.1) redhat 2.1 was
> using samba 2.2 and the good old LPR printing system, Redhat 3 is
> samba 3 with CUPS. After a little messing around  I got everything
> working pretty well, except every now and then I'll try to print
> something and get an error that "can't start print job". It will
> happen at different times, every 4th print, every 20th, ect. Initially
> I thought I was running into the CUPS limit for connections per host
> (since their all comming from localhost via samba), I upped that to 10
> million or something. It seems to co-incide with an entries in
> /var/log/messges:
>
> Permission denied-- user not allowed to delete, pause, or resume print
> job. User name:xxxxxx
>
> This from what I gather is because I'm not listed was a printer admin,
> but that's ok, I'm just printing, not deleteing or anything.   Unless
> windows 2k is trying to do something in the background with the queue.
> This is the first time I'm messed with allowing windows to see the
> print queue. with options:
>
> my printers section
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
>        print ok = yes
>        guest ok = no
>        lpq command   =      /usr/bin/lpq  -P%p
>        use client driver = yes
>

> I'm not sure if this is causing it, I can't restart samba at the
> moment, and a pkill -HUP doesn't seem to cut it.
>
> Any one had any similar problems with cups and samba 3?
>
> Thanks
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin Bennett
> Network Administrator
> Dynabrade Inc.
> Clarence, NY
> 716-631-0100

Cups should have it's own log info in /var/log/cups, you should have a
look at the error logs in there and probably more so the entries in
/var/log/samba/offendingmachineiporhostname.log.
Also, I have had the samba printing database get corrupted from time to
time and have had to delete the entries in /var /cache/samba/printing. A
restart of cups will put back the necessary *.tdb files in that
directory. Below is my very open stanza for printing in samba and I have
never had a problem so long as I had the correct driver loaded on the
windows box. If you need help with that, I have found many tricks over
the years to do such a thing as driver disks today love to bury that
freakin driver inside their bloatware and I have also learn (because of
vmware) how to make many printers not designed to be network printers,
network printers. Good thing my hair grows back fast though ;)
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes