[nflug] FYI: Reverse DNS and sending mail to the list

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Jan 31 08:55:58 EST 2006

hello all,

this is a little FYI in reguards to sending email to the nflug mailing
list. if the reverse dns of the machine connecting to the nflug mail
server does not resolve or resolves incorrectly then your message or
messages will bounce. the error will be "450 Client host rejected:
cannot find your hostname". you may get the bounced message and this
text will be within the message or if you run the server the mailq
command will show this.

we're running a combination of postfix, amavisd, spamassassin, clamav,
and razor to filter all incoming and outgoing messages. messages being
bounced with the "450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname"
are being stopped by the postfix UCE Controls, see
http://www.postfix.org/uce.html for all the details.

to see whether or not you can perform a reverse dns lookup on your
machine or mail server try the command 'host ip.address' or head on out
to http://www.dnsstuff.com. dnsstuff.com is a great resource, check it out.

if you send email from the following hosts/domains you need to contact
your hostmaster and have them fix the reverse dns. we're bouncing alot
from mail.voluntarygateway.ca and cnrcimc1.cnrc.navy.mil. the ipaddrs
associated with the hostnames do not resolve. i'm not calling anyone
out, i'm simple informing you of a misconfiguration.

if you have any questions in reguards to this feel free to contact me on
or off list. if your messages are being bounced try me a "darin (at)
darins.net"

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator