[nflug] community GNU/Linux education

Daniel V cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 14:16:27 EST 2006

Pete, I appreciate the suggestion. I hope to address
this more completely this evening, but I did want to
let you know that I am happy to cooperate with
existing organizations. I don't want to try and
re-invent the wheel, as it were. At the same time, I
have learned from experience that a LUG is apt to not
want to have anything to do with non-Linux topics, and
I'm fine with that. I wish to advocate GNU/Linux and
Open Source software in general, and the framework of
that _may_ be beyond the scope of a LUG, or a mailing
list. That remains to be seen, and I want to go by
experimentation and then judge the results.

People learn best by hands-on training. I can and have
tried talking to people about GNU/Linux, and my
experience has taught be that until one sees, one will
not be impressed by just hearing about it. Also, if
other entities haven't been able to get people
actively into GNU/Linux, maybe it's time for a new
approach.

thanks for your time,
Daniel Villarreal

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

Hello Daniel,
Just a suggestion but why don't you work with what is
already here, this LUG! The physical meetings have
pretty much dried up because of time constraints on
the likes of Bob, myself and others that have come up
to the plate to host/organize the physical meetings of
the NFLUG. I get asked all the time, when's there
going to be another meeting? etc..

If you have the time I'm sure all here would support
you in seeing that
the physical meetings resume. I for one really like
them because you can
get such a different angle speaking to different
people about Linux (cause there's like a gazillion
ways to do something in Linux and you might like the
way someone else has found, etc.).
What do you all think?
BTW, my son and fellow NFLUG member Jesse is getting
married today!!!
(he already has his new wife converted to Linux, of
course ;)) That's my
boy!