[nflug] fstab tips / progress on community education, posted .pdf brochure draft

Daniel V cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 14:05:36 EST 2006

re: GNU/Linux community education
I've posted a rough draft of a proposed public
relations brochure in .pdf format at
http://geocities.com/linuxinbuffalo
I haven't printed this out yet, but when I get the
formatting correct, I'll post that version to the
site.

re:fstab
You may want to set your fstab settings for maximum
performance and to suit your needs. Depending on what
distribution you're using, you may have different
issues with this.

mount
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/mount.8.html

fstab-sync
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/fstab-sync.8.html

HAL
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fhal

LVM
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_lvm.htm

for mounting Linux partitions, I like to use the
noatime switch, as I really don't want to waste time
settings flags on a partition with lots of files.

Upon researching this, I see that a lot of people are
having issues customizing their fstab files.

from
http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/fstab-sync.8.html...
"Automatic updates of the /etc/fstab file by the
fstab-sync program from the HAL daemon can be disabled
by making the /etc/fstab file immutable (using chattr
+i /etc/fstab for example"

some of my entries...
/dev/hda2               /media/hda2               vfat
   user,iocharset=utf8,umask=0007,uid=root,gid=user
/dev/sda2               /media/sda2               ext3
   noauto,noatime

For NTFS, I like to use the utf8 switch.

for other examples,
http://medlem.jubii.dk/abager/blog/dotfiles/fstab

regards,
Daniel Villarreal