[nflug] windows media player files

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 25 09:34:09 EST 2006

> > Is there a way of playing windows media files in firefox 1.5 in Linux?

Another vote for mplayer.

Make sure you get the "essential" codecs and some of the "other" codecs (that apply for windows media):
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

There is, however, another problem (which is the case here). Cnn does some probing to determine your browser and media player. I'm sure that mplayer will probably work. But they won't let it get that far. At home I use a firefox extension that tricks launch.yahoo.com into thinking that I have IE6 and Windows Media Player and then I can play the videos fine in mplayer. But I can't seem to find it now. There is an extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=611&application=firefox) to switch your browser signature, but I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work for the latest version of firefox.