[nflug] community GNU/Linux education

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Fri Jan 20 16:07:52 EST 2006

I'd be happy to participate in some fashion...

My suggestion, seeing as you'd have to pay for a storefront, coupled
with the service you provide being "free", you should probably look for
free space to do this. Unless you are:  a) Filthy Rich or b) Have
sponsors. My first thought would be to try and see if UB or Canisius
(both of which you can metro/bus to) would allow you access to
conference rooms. I just don't see where you would gain funding for your
own brick-and-mortar location. I think it would be a really cool idea to
have a "Buffalo Open Source Center" with presentation areas, etc. The
tough part would be getting the cash flow.

IMO, for many people, it would be tough for them to make it mornings
during the week. Saturday would probably be your best bet - I know it
would be for me, as I could not get downtown during the early workday,
then get back to work afterward.

Good luck!

-Dan

>>> cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com 01/20/06 12:21 PM >>>
I want to provide free Linux education to the
community.  I figured I'd have a folding table and
some chairs for starters, and my laptop, maybe a
whiteboard. If I could have internet access that would
be wonderful.

I'm interested in opening a storefront, for lack of a
better term, and I've contacted the Main Place Mall.
They seemed skeptical ("sounds like you're trying to
start a business") and told me I'd need a certificate
of insurance, at any rate. I assume this would apply
anywhere here in Buffalo and wonder what would be
involved in acquiring this, any hints?

I don't have a car, and so hopefully it would be
someplace close to where I live, on the bus line. I
would want to do this in the mornings Wed.- Sat.

Does anyone have interest in participating in this and
does anyone have any contacts for people who would be
amenable to this idea and could direct me to
people/organizations/businesses that could provide
office space for this endeavor?

If you're interested in my qualifications, please
email me privately and I'll provide more information.

I'd like to participate more in local GNU/Linux
activities, but LUG meetings conflict with my work
schedule.

Thank you for your consideration,
Daniel Villarreal