[nflug] Ubuntu question (Backing Up your media for fair use)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 19:53:55 EST 2006

I can do this now blindfolded (well as long as I can see the keyboard:-)
1. dvdbackup to back up the full disk ( I reuse the same cmd line and jsut
change the output dir
dvdbackup -M -i/dev/hdd -n<NAMEOFMOVIE> -o /opt/vault (your location may vary)

2. dvdshrink in wine to either turn movie only or menus and movies into iso
depends on size of movie, if I want Spanish language or how many subs etc

I have menu shortcuts for this and other win apps I run in wine so to me they
are seamless

3. burn to disk with growisofs or gnomebaker if I feel GUI

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=8 -Z /dev/hdc=/opt/vault/MOVIE.ISO

I used Xdvdshrink for a time to stay linux only but it only grabbed one lang
and one sub and most of the time I want 2 languages and all subs, also the
dependencies and versioning started getting irritating.  The author is a fine
person (answered mail and was happy to receive input) and when it is as easy
and as "intelligent" about the movie as dvdshrink is I'll happily use it.

The whole tutorial is at http://www.madcarters.com/content/view/10/95/
Debian specific tutorials but they apply to most others.  Other tutorials there
are good as well.

JJ