[nflug] mounting ntfs (Thanks)

anthonyriga torrodimerda at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 10:53:50 EST 2006

Thanks again for the help! I had other kernel-mods that must of conflicted after rpm -e reinstalled the livna repo it works.  My question is why with Fedora being the bleeding edge Distro for Redhat they dont include the module?  I read that mandriva debian suse include it why not Fedora. I have been testing ubuntu and might eventually  make the  switch.

/* wrote:

>     anthonyriga wrote:
>
>     > How do I mount ntfs partiton in Fedora I try to do it on my
>     external
>     > drive that is formatted ntfs and I get mount: unknown filesystem
>     type
>     > 'ntfs'. I loaded the kernel-module-ntfs too. When I use Knoppix i t
>     > mounts it with icon on desktop and lets me read it no problem and
>     > write to it. Is there a reason Fedora is not doing this or am I
>     > missing something?
>     >
>     >
>     > Yahoo! Photos
>     > Got holiday prints? See all the ways
>     >
>     > to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >
>     >nflug mailing list
>     >nflug at nflug.org
>     >
>     >
>     You need the exact kernel for the exact kernel-module-ntfs
>     package, they
>     are specifically distributed for each numbered kernel. Run yum as
>     such,
>     "yum install kernel-module-ntfs-$(uname -r)" , this will grab the
>     package for your running kernel (neat little trick I picked up from
>     working with MythTV. If you don't have the module package for your
>     running kernel, it will grab it and then try mounting. If you already
>     have that package, it will say nothing to do and then you can check
>     other causes. If it comes back and says something like no
>     arguement to
>     package or something like that, then you don't have all the repos (or
>     the necessary one) to get the package for your kernel. At that point,
>     you could go to the sourceforge site and grab as Jason pointed
>     out, but
>     try the yum route first.

> Yahoo! Photos
> Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars
> .
> Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Incidentally, that rpm is available at the livna repo, here is an
excerpt from a "yum list"
kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4.i68 2.1.22-0.lvn.3.4       livna

http://mail.yahoo.com