[nflug] WineTools

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Jan 8 10:16:12 EST 2006

frank at mogosystems.com wrote:

>How does one uninstall wine? My version is 20050111 which is not supported and
>full of problems.
>
>Thanks,
>Frank
>
>On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:33 , Dave Andruczyk <djandruczyk at yahoo.com> sent:
>

>>Just in case anyone who's tried wine and left pounding their head into their
>>desk, I came across a tool that takes the sting out of wine.  Winetools
>>http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/  takes the pain out of it..
>>
>>This all stemmed from me wanting to run GoogleEarth (which STILL does not have
>>a linux or OS-X client)  A google search brought up a page saying how somone
>>got it working on gentoo. I tried it and it failed. (perhaps because my wine
>>version was installed from CVS via gentoo's emerge system and was "too new" )
>>so I tried winetools instead (I did NOT change my wine version I kept the one
>>gentoo installed.)
>>
>>So after deleting my ~/.wine directory (well I tarred it up to save it just in
>>case before erasing it).  I ran Winetools and followed the instructions.  Once
>>you install it via either an rpm or via "./install" asroot from  the tarball
>>you invike it with "wt" (winetools).  It'll detect if you have not setup wine
>>and it does it all for you, including guiding you to installing the basic
>>windows tools. which I recommend even if you don't plan on using them.
>>GoogleEarth is a supported install  though with the current version of wine it
>>is NOT perfect,  it DOES  however work enough to be useful.  DVDshrink on the
>>other hands works perfectly. (I use it for backing up my DVD's so if I can play
>>the backup and keep the original safe from damage)  Other apps that I've tried
>>include acrobat 6, innosetup, ie6 sp1, media player, firefox for windows and
>>1zip.   All of these run flawlessly (And fast too).  Though I'll stick with my
>>linux tools for 99% of things.  Having the windows ones avail has it's uses,
>>and I'm sure there's users here that need windows apps more than I do.
>>
>>If anyone needs any help I'll be glad to offer up what I know...
>>
>>Beer and/or good food motivates me even more so.. :)
>>

>>Dave J. Andruczyk

I believe you have an FC? system right? If it was an rpm do, "rpm -qa|
grep wine" to get the exact rpm name then "rpm -e whateverthenamewas".
If you compiled it in you could just whack the dir holding it, probably
in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local. Do a "locate" to find all the spots it
might be in and make sure you get rid of any symlinks that may be in
your path(s).