[nflug] WineTools

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 20:33:37 EST 2006

Just in case anyone who's tried wine and left pounding their head into their
desk, I came across a tool that takes the sting out of wine.  Winetools
http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/  takes the pain out of it..

This all stemmed from me wanting to run GoogleEarth (which STILL does not have
a linux or OS-X client)  A google search brought up a page saying how somone
got it working on gentoo. I tried it and it failed. (perhaps because my wine
version was installed from CVS via gentoo's emerge system and was "too new" )
so I tried winetools instead (I did NOT change my wine version I kept the one
gentoo installed.)

So after deleting my ~/.wine directory (well I tarred it up to save it just in
case before erasing it).  I ran Winetools and followed the instructions.  Once
you install it via either an rpm or via "./install" asroot from  the tarball
you invike it with "wt" (winetools).  It'll detect if you have not setup wine
and it does it all for you, including guiding you to installing the basic
windows tools. which I recommend even if you don't plan on using them.
GoogleEarth is a supported install  though with the current version of wine it
is NOT perfect,  it DOES  however work enough to be useful.  DVDshrink on the
other hands works perfectly. (I use it for backing up my DVD's so if I can play
the backup and keep the original safe from damage)  Other apps that I've tried
include acrobat 6, innosetup, ie6 sp1, media player, firefox for windows and
1zip.   All of these run flawlessly (And fast too).  Though I'll stick with my
linux tools for 99% of things.  Having the windows ones avail has it's uses,
and I'm sure there's users here that need windows apps more than I do.

If anyone needs any help I'll be glad to offer up what I know...

Beer and/or good food motivates me even more so.. :)

Dave J. Andruczyk