[nflug] Linux FTP Recomendations.

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 4 17:14:36 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Nichel" <john at kegworks.com>
To: nflug at nflug.org
Subject: Re: [nflug] Linux FTP Recomendations.
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:04:25 -0500

> Tom McKim wrote:
> > Haldo,
> >
> > I've been a member here for a while, mainly just
> > watching, and occasionally chiming in with my 2 cents
> > when there are questions regarding Windows, or general
> > IT questions.
> >
> > I am breaking down and am going to load Linux on my
> > Old PC (PII 300 Mhz)
> >
> > Can someone point out to a good faq/doc on how to
> > build a simple Linux box that is just going to perform
> > as a FTP server.
> >
> > I did some Google seaches and found a ton of info. Thought I
> > would check with you guys before I continue.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't touch FTP.  SFTP will be on your system by
> default (most systems do this I think).

Depending on what you are using the box for I would also recommend sftp (ships with openssh, the defacto standard on most all modern GNU/Linux systems). After a discussion on this list a little while ago I started using vsftpd for downloads on my webpage. It is supposed to be pretty secure (as long it is configured correctly). Before that I was using proftpd which I was pretty happy with.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/vsftpd/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/proftpd/

-Josh