[nflug] restoring windows w/out bothering Linux

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Feb 21 10:47:48 EST 2006

joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:
> Thus spake Cyber Source on Sun, 19 Feb 2006
>
>>> snip
>> ahhhhh I see. If it came with the laptop and he didnt see such an
>> option then I can pretty much guarantee that it was a restore cd and
>> not a windows installation cd. If he already did this, he hosed his
>> Linux.
>
> Oh yeah. The linux partition was hosed before I started this thread. I
> was just wondering if there was anything I could do for future
> reference. They were definitely restore cd's. I should have mentioned
> that first. But its disapointing, since every new computer comes only
> with restore cd's. Actually, its not even that anymore. I helped my dad
> buy a new computer recently and there is only a restore partition! I
> mean, how cheap can you get! What if the disk goes bad? Anyway, I was
> leary to start uninstalling all the shite that comes on a new computer
> because I've never backed up windws from a 'restore partition' before.
> I'm sure its pretty easy though. Sorry, windows just gets my blood
> boiling.
>
> -Josh J

I don't blame ya, we see this shit everyday, welcome to our world lol.
Yep the ol restore partition only thing, so cheap they can't include the
cd anymore, probably somewhere buried in the new and improved EULA, who
knows. Anyway, what we do here to get around such limits is restore the
drive as it would have it, then ghost the whole thing to another drive,
repartition the original drive (only the partition actually holding
windows, then ghost it all back to the newly resized partition. With
some restore cd/partitions, this is the only option so it doesnt take
the entire drive for windows.

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME......

btw, Cyber Source builds custom pc's where that would not be an issue,
you should have priced with us. I will put our pc's up against anyones
in both price and performance.