[nflug] Making A CD Into A Zip File While PreservingPermissions (A Bit OT)...

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Fri Feb 17 15:20:33 EST 2006

I have the CD in a local solaris server. Will NFS work to mount the
cdrom drive from the "out of state" servers? If so, what are the exact
commands?

Thanks!

-Dan

>>> Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com 02/09/06 3:09 PM >>>
you can steam line the below 2 steps into one.

mount -F hsfs -o ro `lofiadm -a /path/to/file.iso` /mnt

Robert Meyer wrote:

> In Solaris, do a 'man lofi' to find out how loopbacks work.  You will
probably
> have to do something like:
> lofiadm -a file.iso /dev/lofi/1
> mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/lofi/1 /mnt
>
> It will mount the CDrom image as /mnt in readonly mode.  Don't try to
make it
> read/write or bad things will happen.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Cheers!
>
> Bob
>

> --- DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI <dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com> wrote:
>

>>All,
>>
>>I have a dilemma. I have a CD for an application for a Solaris
server.
>>The Solaris server is not in this state. In an effort to do this from
my
>>desk, I tried creating a zip file of all the contents of the CD on
my
>>Windows XP workstation, and SCP'd the zip files over to the server.
>>unzipped the file and began to install the application - all this
>>involves is running one shell script which will in turn run other
>>scripts. The CD contains scripts/files of various permission levels.
>>When I tried running the script, I kept getting errors about various
>>other scripts not being able to execute.
>>
>>Is there any way that I can zip/tar/copy all the contents of a CD on
>>Windows XP workstation, SCP it to a Solaris server, unzip/untar it,
and
>>preserve the file permissions?
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>
>>-Dan