[nflug] Server Specs - Need Some Comments

Dennis Ruzeski denniruz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:22:49 EST 2006

MySQL is a great performer for reads. Less so for writes. If the database is
going to be used primarily for reads, install it with the myisam engine. If
you're expecting a lot of write/update use the inno engine (supports
row-level locking, high-concurrency, full transaction support, real
referential integrity, etc...).

Memory is more important than CPU, but dual procs will give you a big boost.
Fast disk is essential- If the DB will be heavy reads and you won't be doing
referrer logging w/ apache, RAID 5 will be ok but if you need referrer logs
and/or the database will get lots of write/update traffic, then go w/ 4
disks and RAID 10. Make sure you spend some time tuning everything after the
build-- Out of the box, no linux or mysql combo will be anywhere near
optimal.  I'd put the web and database on the same box (Unix named pipes are
a HUGE performance gain over a TCP socket) and install squid as a reverse
proxy to cache common requests and keep the DB load down.

Good luck!
--Dennis