[nflug] Verizon dsl

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Dec 28 15:40:16 EST 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> Where do you connect the modem too? DO i need to
> provide my own wires? I ordered the online do it your
> self. I wanna put the modem in my basement in my
> computer room what wires do I need to run? And from
> where? Any suggestions?
> --- David Mangani <buckettruckdave at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hmmm,
>>
>> Sorry I sent that last message by mistake. Anyways,
>> I switched to
>> Verizon DSL a few months ago. It seems to work fine.
>> It is slightly
>> slower than cable, however,not alot of difference. I
>> did use a windows
>> PC to initially set up my account. Basically it was
>> just easier. Now
>> that the account is set up, I have used FC6, ubuntu
>> and now Debian on
>> it all without any trouble. It seems that to
>> initially set up and
>> activate the account windows is easier. Not sure if
>> it could be done
>> from the get go with Linux. I don't know if the
>> various ports are
>> available for use or not. I can only say that I
>> simply plug in my DSL
>> modem let the lights wink on and connect the
>> ethernet cable and it
>> simply works. No real complaints here.
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> On 12/22/06, David Mangani
>> <buckettruckdave at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,

>> before.

>> setting

>> we

>> WIndows or

>> are

>> Do

>> RR

>> sendmail

>> just

>> protection around

>>> --
>>> Debian Linux/FC5/Sometimes Ubuntu.
>>>

>> --
>> Debian Linux/FC5/Sometimes Ubuntu.

I am currently using Verizon DSL/the slowest option and dry loop (no
phone) ($19.95/month).  I paid an extra 14.95 (one time) and they gave
me a Westel 327 Modem/Wireless Router (with 4 ethernet ports on it).  If
you want this, you may have to ask for it.  They might not mention it.
If I keep the account a whole year, the Westel will be mine to keep.
I've got a Sunrocket VOIP box plugged into it and it works fine.
There's just no way (according to Verizon) to give priority to it when
my computer is using a lot of bandwidth, but I haven't done that yet
when a phone call was in progress.

I had a lot of trouble setting it up (even on Windoze) and learned how
to do all the settings myself (got the modem manual from the Westel
website).  Basically, you set your browser to http://192.168.1.1/
and you can setup anything you want to - including a whole lot of
advanced options I don't understand.   Since it's a web interface, any
browser on any OS should work "theoretically".
At one point, I remember some pages not displaying correctly in Firefox
and having to use Internet Exploder.
The main thing that had me stopped for a long time was that someone told
me to check a box that enabled pppoe.  Nothing worked until I turned
that off.

The Westel manual is very good - shows you screens for everything with
step by step instructions.  It does *not* try to teach you anything
about networking, so you have to know what you want to do and what
things mean.  That shouldn't be a big problem for a lot of people on
this list.

Joe