[nflug] ipp printing/securing

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Dec 26 10:23:36 EST 2006

Hello All,
  I've setup a printer in my shop to test internet printing. I have a
usb print server which I've forwarded port 631 to via my firewall ,
using shorewall. All is well and it works good, I can setup the printer
remotely via an external IP and prints fine. My question is this, how
does one secure this?
Currently anyone can setup a printer to this IP or just scan the ports
and send garbage to this. It's probably a little overkill but I don't
like having this being vulnerable.
For shorewall there are typically 3 zones, net, loc and dmz. Would I
setup a zone and restrict it only to this zone? Ideas? TIA