[nflug] wtf is up with this %$#@*& "dell restore" partition

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 16:37:20 EST 2006

Yeah, this is how Dell reloads machines that have their O/S hosed.  The 6M partition is Dell Diagnostics which you can typically get to with <F12> on startup (at least on a Dimension XPS).  The Bigger partition is a base Dell install file that the restore utility in the diag partition can read to put the hard drive back together just the way that Dell made it.  This is how they get away with not sending CDs with the machines any more.

I know all of this 'cuz a good friend just used a disk wiper program on an XPS and vaporized the machine.  She had to have Dell send a CD so that she could put those two partitions back together.

Typically, if you hose your Dell, the tech guy is going to have you go to diags and restore it, dumping your data.  He'll then berate you for not backing up your data.

If you wipe it, then Dell will disavow all knowledge of your existence... Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

Cheers!

Bob