[nflug] Desktop Candy

Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Sun Dec 17 23:39:12 EST 2006

Cyber Source wrote:
> J.G.Boice wrote:
>
>>> Cyber Source wrote:
>>> One thing that both e and kde have over gnome, however, unless I'm
>>> mistaken, is the ability to put a different picture on each desktop, so
>>> I can tell where I am at a glance. I've been searching for that and not
>>> finding it in gnome. Is it even possible or should I just give that one
>>> up?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> S.
>>>

>> Hmm, yeah.
>> I'll confess that I don't have a lot of desire to get more eyecandy than
>> KDE provides:
>> 1] Any decent jpg I can DL or snap w/ my digicam as wallpaper
>> 2] in any degree of transparency,
>> 3] with or without a 2-color gradient background fading in;
>> 4] kicker panel in any color, with any degree of transparency;
>> 5] translucent window borders;
>> 6] Customizable popup menus via left- middle- & right-clicks on up to 20
>> virtual desktops.
>>
>> There's probably a lot more, but I can only play around with customizing
>> for so long before I feel guilty about not getting any work done. . .

> Your last line reminds me of what I forgot to put in my posts on this
> thread and that is getting work done. I put a lot of Linux into
> workplaces, servers and workstations alike and I always found it
> inappropriate to have a desktop system where you logout and see a
> picture of a cartoon dragon (that was just a pet peeve of mine) in a
> business environment (other things as well, mostly the menus as stated
> before), especially when I push Linux as I do, I don't need to give the
> hardened M$ users any food for fire. Gnome just fits into business
> environments better with streamlined simplistic menus that usually just
> work. IMHO of course, no flames please....

That makes sense to me.
"Eye-meat&potatoes"  instead of "eye-candy."  You  use what's appropriate.

BTW, I also agree with you about the lame dragon cartoon. My own
attempts at "cute" are sad enough without having to put up with someone
else's.

Hence I replaced /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/pics/shutdownkonq.png with an
188X300 px image of my own design which I renamed to shutdownkonq.png.
Works fine!

Poof --the magic dragon
lives by the sea
retired off in Florida
not in my KDE. . .

. . .for all you Peter, Paul & Mary fans out there.

--John