[nflug] (Re)Installing Firefox, Thunderbird, and OOo under Kubuntu

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Dec 17 22:42:07 EST 2006

Hi.  I am now a happy user of kubuntu dapper.  Almost everything I need
works (until I head off into wine land for my Windoze apps.) except my
blinking modem.

Anyway, I have OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and Thunderbird installed via
adept and naturally, they're not the latest versions.

In the past (Mandrake 9.1), when I tried to install these myself it was
easy to do as single user installs, but I never figured out how to
install them so all users could access them.

I want to keep up with the latest versions - especially for ff and tb to
keep them secure.

1) What's the (a) right way to do this for each of these packages?

Do I uninstall them from adept first?

Can I keep any configurations I have done or do I need to do them all
over from scratch?

I haven't used tb to get any email yet, so I don't have any to lose.
It's all still on the Windoze side until I get things working.

TIA

Joe