[nflug] FC6 + ATI 1600 PRO + Desktop Candy

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Dec 15 18:27:45 EST 2006

Stephen Burke wrote:
> Frank Kumro wrote:
>> Has anyone been able to get this to work ? Im looking to install FC6
>> for the eye candy but I dont feel like doing all the work (yea the 10
>> clicks are too much for me) to install it and have no eye candy. On
>> the fedora forums I've read alot of complaints about 6 and nvidia/ati.
>> This shared among anyone on the lug?
>>
> Dunno about ati, but nvidia + fcx has been consistenlty ugly around
> here with various nvidia cards - won't start X for fc (or blag), or if
> it does, like the blag50k install which I can't seem to do twice, it
> won't let me back to the CL to install the driver, using either init 3
> or ctrl-alt-f1 - just locks up and shows me a garbled version of the
> "welcome to...!" non-X screen -> then reboot. All this despite setting
> bios to PCI first for video. Recognizes card, then fails to find a
> monitor on the notherboard video card. Very strange. Had problems with
> suse, too -maybe it's an rpm thing. Haven't been able to boot the fc6
> dvd anywhere around here.
>
> If you're looking for EASY eye candy, I'm having lots of fun with
> beryl on edgy. It's even allowing me to happily use gnome which I had
> to stop using years ago simply because it is so mind-numbingly boring
> and M$-like, though it seems to have gotten a bit better lately.
> Check here:
> http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/nVIDIA#Adding_Beryl_repository
>

> I had already gotten the nvidia driver going here before I saw that
> unfortunately, since the method on that page looks easier, but the
> beryl part works flawlessly. In gnome, anyway. KDE doesn't seem to
> want to start properly here but I'm not sure if that's beryl or kde,
> since I've never started kde before on this system (only grabbed it
> for konqueror, kuickshow, ktorrent, etc).
>
> Fewer clicks in an ubuntu install, too, as I recall.
> alt-n works nicely, too, I've found.
> ;-),
> S.
>
> p.s. f8 in beryl - thumbs of all open windows on all desktops - is a
> particularly tasty feature. Even scales moving video with no problem.
> Still busy ringing all the bells and blowing all the whistles.

Gnome boring and M$ like??!!
I think you'll find a few to argue that one. I mean we are all entitled
to opinions but from my experience, if there was one factor that drove
people AWAY from Linux, it was KDE. Too much fluff, confusing, redundant
menus, etc., and apps that seem to promise more than they can deliver.
IMHO of course.
I've been loving Gnome for about the past 6 years or so, and back then
it was surely lacking, but it just keeps getting better and better. It
seems your a Gnome guy as well, just the M$ parody made me chime in.
Don't wanna start a flame war out there people, just my opinion and I'm
shooting one in for the Gnome guys ;)