[nflug] Simplistic Audio ripping and burning

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Dec 14 21:53:26 EST 2006

Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> Hi.  I've recently upgraded to kubuntu and need some help doing
>> basics in the *much* newer system.
>>
>> I have an audio CD with two tracks on it.  I want to rip just the
>> first track and then create an mp3 from the whole first track and
>> then repeat the end of the same track (from 13:33 to about 20:00) a
>> couple of times - preferably in the same mp3.
>>
>> What's the easiest way to do this (without learning really complex
>> programs)?
>>
>> So far, I managed to rip the track using jack, but I only got it to
>> create an ogg file and my cd player (the final destination for this)
>> won't play ogg.  I then told jack to make an mp3, but the encoder
>> returned a 255 (-1) and quit.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joe
>>
> sound-juicer for ripping, and audacity or a new program that's very
> young jokosher (http://www.jokosher.org/) for editing. Or put the file
> online and I can do it for you in Audacity. -Jesse

Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and got most of the way there with a
number of problems:

1) Sound Juicer reads the original CD, shows me both tracks.  I select
the first track and click on Extract.
Immediately, I get:
Sound juicer could not extract this CD.
Reason: Could not link pipeline.

What's this about and how do I fix it?  (Jack could do it - see below).

2) I got Jack to rip the track to a .wav file (which it left around when
it died trying to do mp3 encoding).
So, I fired up Audacity and edited the track.  Audacity was really nice
for this.  But, when I went to encode it as an mp3, Audacity asked for a
Lame library file that I don't have (because Lame isn't installed).
I went into Adept and the closest thing I found was glame which didn't
help.  I tried a straight download and install of the latest Lame, but
it bombed out in configure where it looked like the parameters it passed
to gcc were wrong for the version of gcc I have and it couldn't create a
test object file.

So, from what repository do I get Lame for kubuntu dapper and how do I
add the repository to Adept (dpkg).... Or, what version of Lame do I
need for my system, where do I get it and what magic do I do to install it?

3) Not to be defeated so easily, I ported the wav file to Windoze and
used a built-in utility to convert it to an mp3 (with the highest
quality - 400+ MB).  Then I burned it onto a CD and thought I was done.
But, when I insert the disk and Windoze Media Player starts, it
encounters an error with the disk and won't play.  However, when I clear
the error and select the file, it plays fine.  When I put it in my CD
player (which has a big "mp3" written on on it), it reads for awhile and
then says disk error.

So, what's the right way to make a CD of mp3's - I've never done that
before?

TIA

Joe