[nflug] Seeking linux friendly multi-functionprinter/scanner/copier recommendations

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Thu Aug 10 16:00:05 EDT 2006

> I'm not sure you understand what I've written - I have high
> confidence in
> what linuxprinting.org says and understand that hplip works
> well with HP
> printers. My qualm is with the 25xx series itself, not
> compatibility of
> the OS/print daemon that's feeding jobs to it. I used to be a huge HP
> proponent - that's why an HP was the first brand I looked at. If
> CUPS/LPRng/whatever and hplip work great, but the printer is
> a POS like
> 95% of the 50 reviews on amazon indicate, an HP of this
> series doesn't
> sound like a very good choice to pick up.

Hi Mark,

I do not know why folks dislike the 2575. MY 2510 is very fast and prints
excellent quality for my needs (mainly web pages, various forms and online
document printing). I especially love it's double sided feed tray it never
jams and totally rocks when printing several hundred pages. The HP's fax is
rock solid and handles out of paper conditions with aplomb. It's copier is
fast and makes crisp photo copies.

The HP's 2500 line's failures seems to revolve around photo printing. MY
2510 is definitely 2nd rate in that regard. However if you need solid photo
handling, I would suggest a separate photo printer as I have yet to demo a
multi-use system that has acceptable photo printing while maintain a network
adapter.

To narrow your search, I would stick to Epson and HP as their Linux support
is quite mature and sees active development. I would avoid Brother and
Lexmark as both seem to consider Linux support as an unnecessary option.

Good Luck!

Sam S.