[nflug] Intel 950 Accelerated Graphics & Ubuntu

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Aug 10 00:42:22 EDT 2006

Went to the store with a Dapper Drake CD.  I worked on the Toshiba so
far.  I'm going back tomorrow for the HP.

1) Boots fine once you use ESC during boot to get into the BIOS so you
can set it to boot off the cdrom.
2) Sound seems to work OK, but pretty soft.  (I set the mixer output up.)
3) I got an mpeg movie to play, but was unsure of the quality.
4) USB flash drive OK.
The hard drive is /dev/sda1 (for access to windoze stuff) and the usb
flash drive is /dev/sdb1 and automounts/dismounts nicely - offering you
a konqueror window to browse it with.

Questions/problems:
1) How do I "stress" the Intel 950 Graphics accelerator enough to be
sure it (the driver) works correctly?
       BTW Linux sees it as a 945 chipset.
2) dmesg error messages (on Live CD)
    a) Warning:# of CPU's limit of 1 reached - Processor ignored
    b) APIC error on cpu 0 40(40)
          Got this one about 16 times along with some sort of table of
values that I didn't understand.
          Since this is a chipset that has to do with SMP support, maybe
this has to do with problem (a).
3) Ran glxinfo and got a lot of output I didn't understand.  Is there
some key piece of data in it that will tell me if the 950 works?
   The only thing that caught my interest was a table of values that was
mostly zeros.  There were eight rows that had non-zero data in them and
the last column of each said "slow".  That doesn't look too encouraging.
4) Will actually installing it on the notebook fix the SMP problems (and
graphics?) during the install?

TIA

Joe