[nflug] uhoh

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 15:15:26 EDT 2006

OK, before this gets out of hand...

Very little in /proc actually uses real disk space.  The system creates files
that map to memory images.  That is to say that if you have 2 gigs of virtual
memory that *is being used*, then /proc will look like it is using more than 2
gigs of disk space.  This is phantom space.  It's really your virtual memory
mapped to look like files.  It's not *actually* using disk space.  When
checking the disk usage on a system, it's a good idea to exclude /proc from the
list of directories to check.

Does this clear anything up?

Cheers!
Bob