[nflug] backups on an nfs server ..on and on

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Wed Aug 9 09:24:04 EDT 2006

As richard said...

We don't use tapes at work, and for good reasons. Disks are four times as fast as tapes, 1/2 the cost,
and twice as reliable. Not to mention, they are extremely portable and cross platform (try stickig a tape into
just about any machine...and ever more important, even if you happen to find an extra tape drive, try actually getting
the tape to read sucessfully). not to mention having random access to disk data makes restores actually feasable.

Tapes are OK for archiving. For backups, they've definitely outlasted their usable lifespan.

We treat disks _just_ _like_ tapes. Every action you do with tapes, we do the same thing with a hot-swap backup drive.
A lot of people sit there and say "oh, well how do you do _this_ with a disk, that we do with tapes..." We do the same thing with disks. All we do is replace the media, the backmup software, processes, procedures..etc..all remain the same.

-Mark