[nflug] backups on an nfs server

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Fri Aug 4 13:34:11 EDT 2006

The command runs tar on the local machine, sends the output to standard out.
(lets say it's called "sourcemachine"

It, in realtime takes that tar stream and sends it via ssh, issuing the
command dd to copy stdin to a file (you can replace dd with "cat >
/dest/server/filename", but I don't trust redirects through ssh/shell
escapes.

It's a simply streamlined version of:

# tar cf myfile.tar /
# scp myfile.tar destserver:/remote/dir/filename
# rm myfile.tar

Except the nice thing is that you do not need that temporary (usually very
large) tar file placeholder.

Benefits are:

1. substantially saved disk space
2. 1/2 the disk I/O (only read, no write on the local machine)
3. faster and more compact.