[nflug] UPS and USB

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Fri Aug 4 09:12:51 EDT 2006

When we last left our adventurers...

> Hello All,
> Has anyone installed a UPS with USB connectivity in Linux? I usually get
> serial port UPS's (rs232) but they are getting harder and harder to find and
> are being priced way way past the USB ones now.  I could do the usual, buy it
> and try it thing on one but would like to know if anyone out there has the
> USB ones working in Linux. They usually include software for UNIX on the cd's
> but the USB ones are win/mac only. I could probably make them work by
> installing apcupsd but who knows. Someone out there must have tried a UPS on
> USB in Linux, any thoughts? TIA

NUT has a lot of drivers for various models:
http://www.networkupstools.org/

I have an Energizer UPS which apparently used to work with NUT but no
longer does.
I've never had it working, but it _is_ listed as working "questionably"
well. The more popular ones seem to be well supported. The site has good
docs.

APC has a ton of stuff all to their selves:
http://www.apcupsd.org/

Sorry I couldn't give first-hand confirmation. But I hope that's good
starting point. I learned a lot from it, like to do research _before_ I
buy a UPS next time.

-Josh