[nflug] backups on an nfs server

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Aug 3 15:27:48 EDT 2006

I'm a little cleared up, but now you are mentioning a samba server..so I'm
all confused again :)

Heres what my opinion is:

It would be much better to run the backups on the local fileserver.

If you are saying the fileserver does not have that much space, I would then
still try to do the backup locally, and then transfer the complete backup
file wherever else afterwards.

You can even do both together by simply piping tar into ssh (which is an
extremely common way to do backups):

"tar cf - / | ssh destserver dd of=/dest/server/filename/"

The point being that when you are tarring a file, it does a LOT of
filesystem lookups for each and every file that goes into the tarball.
Secondly, it needs to handle file locking. Doing tons of fstats() and file
locks would end up being expensive and slightly unreliable, and slow.

You want to try and do all of the on your local system, which would
eliminate or considerably speed it up. You can then transfer the single
tarball over the network..or even get crazy and just copy it via nfs or
samba. You're only dealing with a single file now, so the above converns are
moot.

-Mark