[nflug] DSL

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Apr 29 08:20:22 EDT 2006

<snip--When I was setting up my Sunrocket VoIP box, telling it to use
PPPoE (as SR tech support told me to do) cost me about a week of no
service.  When I finally got a tech who told me to turn it off in the
VoIP box, then everything started working.  How does that relate to what
you just said?--snip>

Only one device/software should be doing pppoe. Whatever device was the
last or first (depending on your view but the device connected to the
outside line) should have been set to do pppoe, then if you have another
router (or even if it was the VoIP box), that should have been set as a
bridge to allow pass through traffic. The last device next to your pc's
should have been set to act as a DHCP server (if that's what you want)
and then any pc you have (Linux, windows, whatever) should have been set
as DHCP clients and that's it, no pppoe, nothing else, as that's already
being done by the first/last device. If you installed the DSL cd in
windows, good luck trying to turn off the pppoe stuff, I couldn't find
it but didn't look too long either, it used to have a little app and I
forget the name. I've actually extracted that app separately off the cd
and just installed that once for windows, worked pretty good, just as
Linux has pppoe clients by default (many distros I've seen anyway).
Somewhere along the line DNS servers need to be assigned and other than
that, you should have been all set. Unless you have that setup right,
your going to have problems if it works at all. Add to that mix the new
DSL modems that Josh was talking about and it gets worse. I've installed
DSL once with these new modems and the install cd for windows (only
choice at the location ;)) and that's why I couldn't see what process
was doing the pppoe. Also remember that pppoe is not just run, it
carries your authentication info, so, if that's not right, whatever is
doing it, you go nowhere.
I hope I cleared this up for ya. Common problem is that with
DSL/Verizon/Sun Rocket/whoever, they usually don't have qualified
support people and that can lead to confusion and time wasted, as you know.