[nflug] NFS noac option

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Apr 21 20:06:56 EDT 2006

Maybe a meeting topic can be File sharing options as a whole.

Personally I can't see using samba to share between two unix type
machines, I'm sure most people will agree on that, and I don't think NFS
to pc's is a viable option, thought you can get NFS clients, but between
two unix machines it's easy and supported by alot of linux distro's as
well as unixes out of the box. Other than NFS and Samba I know there are
some other protocols out there (AFS, iscsi, ect) but I have no
experience with these, and wouldn't mind hearing some info on other
stuff for my own info. For buisiness stuff though I need something
that's production quality and time tested. NFS has been around since the
80's and still going. As I've said I don't want to get into is a
situation where I need to manage every software package on every system
I have, I don't want to have to be checking for updates for my network
sharing software, and need to compile or install it on multiple machines
without knowing it will be compatable with my GLIBC, Kernel, ect. That's
why I prefer to use distribution supplied software for things such as
NFS, and samba, and let their update service update it for me. Our big
exceptions are Courier-Imap (the UW supplied server is ok, but mbox mail
can be really slow with large folders), and I need to compile my own PHP
for our specific needs.

My user data all resides on one box, a network attached storage box of
sorts. My samba / email server actually mounts the user's homes (which
include their maildir) from the NFS box, as well as all shares the the
samba server actally shares.  I use Courier Imap (with Maildir) and it's
really quite fast over NFS. The README actaully states it works very
well with NFS.

My problem was Courier Imap has it's own services that start out of
/usr/lib/courier I started them out of /etc/rc.d/rc.local on boot and
not from sysinit, so when shutting down courier wasn't stopped before it
tried to shutdown NFS and since courier was locking files it would just
hang on shutting down NFS. I've since fixed that by shutting down
courier first.

Justin

Justin Bennett
Network Administrator