[nflug] Hardware Issue

ron browning ron_browning14223 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 20:13:00 EDT 2006

Also check battery on mother board!  Bearings could be going on Hard Drive -- try a new one(lock would occur if HD speed flaky).

Sam Stern <samstern at samstern.net> wrote:

> [...]

Frank,

It could be your hard drive. However, it is more likely that mechical stress
is to blame. Mechanical stress tends to cause loose parts to become more
loose over time. I've noticed since I moved to upstate New York from
Baltimore, MS (Last Year) that this is happening to my systems allot. As in,
ever 60 to 90 days a system will appear to fail due to loose cables or
memory chips). To rule this problem out, open your computer blow out all the
dust and gunk with some compressed air. Then remove (have a care here, it is
easy to damage worn flat cables when doing this) and reseat all items you
can (Memory Chips, Add on cards, cables, etc) and gently push down on all
chips that are socked but not easily removed (such as BIOS chips, ASIC's
etC). You may want to spring for a new set of round cables (I find these
more reliable than flat cables) sat this time as well.

To rule out hard drive failure, schedule a Long smart scan (smarttools -T
long) and wait the appraise time (usually takes 30 minutes per 50GB or so).

Good Luck!

Sam Stern
Grand Island, New York, USA