[nflug] openldap

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 20:48:16 EDT 2006

--- eric <eric at bootz.us> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how I can manage many users on many servers
> ...is LDAP the way to go?

I used to use NIS even for my small LAN.  I recently got LDAP working on my
debian machine and it was relatively painless - mostly reading how to docs, and
relearning how to add users and use ldap tools - the skills os using LDAP
though are very platform independent so they are not useless skills!

I can suggest LDAP - the passwd to LDAP scripts are so easy to use now it
really takes minutes.  I have some good links

http://www.imaginator.com/~simon/ldap/
http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/09/15/1930256&tid=129
http://www.metaconsultancy.com/whitepapers/ldap.htm
https://gosa.gonicus.de/#demo
http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.fr.html#htoc90
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.finnie.org/text/debian-domain-auth.html
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/ldap

Many are debian specific Some are ALL in ONE - LDAP/SAMBA so that everything
uses LDAP.

JJN