[nflug] Router Questions

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Apr 8 03:49:36 EDT 2006

I have it configured as Dave suggested (see my original post).
The DSL modem lives at 192.168.1.1 (I'm not sure what else it uses, but
they're in the 192.168.1.x range.)
The VoIP uses 192.168,251,x addresses.
I got these from the tech help configuring them and from Zone Alarm
firewall logs.  I have added both of these local subnets to my trusted
zones in Zone Alarm.  The DSL modem works a bit better now - less
arguing after I kill it by inserting the VoIP - but the VoIP still
doesn't work or pass through the Internet.

Verizon sent me a new modem and Sunrocket finally called back from level
3.  Now I just have to get back to the location so I can call them back
and work on it again.

So the consensus seems to be that I don't need a router at this point.
That I should just hook them up in a row and get them to work.

I have no idea what Win 98se does regarding DHCP (I was at the last
meeting, but I'm still not even sure what DHCP is. Forget configuring
it!)  I don't really want to get into the depths of networking any more
than I have to at this point.  I'm sure I'll have to learn quite a bit
more if I ever get wireless equipment in the future, but for now, I can
wait.

Any idea how I can tell about DHCP on my laptop?  I've been running
winipgcfg (release and restore) and sometimes that seems to help, but I
don't know if that has anything to do with DHCP.

Joe