[nflug] Verizon DSL line for use with Vonage

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Apr 2 13:25:34 EDT 2006

JJ Neff wrote:
> --
>
>> BTW, I just signed up for Sunrocket VoIP at about $16/month - a big
>> savings over Vonage and lots more free features.  (They have a referral
>> program and I can get credit if you give them my VoIP phone number when
>> you sign up.  I'll give it to you off list if you are interested.)
>>

> I currently use Vongae and pay the smaller rate (I think 14.95) we go over the
> minutes alloted but still only go up to a littel over $17 (nowhere near the
> 24.95 month to get the unlimited).
>
> I looked up the SunRocket stuff and did not find a $16 price, I saw 9.95 with
> no voice mail and 200 inbound minutes, 24.95 unlimited monthly, and 199/year
> unlimited.  Was that the one you referred to?

I got the $199 package (and a promotion that expired on 3/20 that gives
me 3 free extra months at the end of the 12 months!)
> I am very interested in the Sunrocket - the annual rate is almost what we pay
> now and we would get unlimited minutes and $3 international credit (nice for
> the occasional call to MX:-)
>
> I though Sunrocket was BYO but I see they use a "gizmo" device - how is that is
> thephone settings (QOS etc locked down?)

They sent me a box that hooks up between my DSL modem and my computer.
They tell me I can connect up to three phones to it (like extensions on
a regular phone).

I just got my DSL, Firefox, and Thunderbird all working last night
(under Windoze) and hope to get the phone working later today.  I'm new
to VoIP, so I'm not clear on the rest of your question.

One really cool feature is that they give you an additional phone number
with all separate settings, voice mail, distinctive ring tone, etc. for
free!  I'm sure I can only use one at a time, but it's almost like
having two phone lines on a party line (party lines were before my time,
but I've heard about them).

Now that I have DSL, Verizon really gave me a data rate something like
800/100.  They told me 768/768 pre-sale.  That should work fine, but if
I try to use bit torrent, etc., at the same time, my upline speed might
not handle it.

Do Verizon and Adelphia care if you use things like bit torrent?  Do
they get mad about peer to peer data serving etc.?
>> Sunrocket says they need 90k/90k to work well, so even if I'm using the
>> Internet, I should have more than enough bandwidth.
>>
>> Previously, I had IDT regular phone service for about $60/month.  Now, I
>> have DSL and phone for under $40 - a savings of $20 and much better than
>> dial up.
>>

> Same thing with us - I have (very fortunately) broadband costs covered by work
> so my phone bill was biggest expense - VOIP helped that and now with
> competition there appears to be an inverse relationship between price and
> service  Yeah

It sure looks that way!

At my house, I don't want to pay for a separate phone line for myself,
so I'm considering using Skype (with DSL) and setting it up for my
partner as well.  That way I can talk to her privately for free and
without tying up the regular phone or frying my brain with a cell
phone.  I'm not sure, but I think I can set up Skype for her without
interfering with her Sunrocket.  Anybody know about that?

Joe