Sorcerer and Gentoo

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 19:14:50 EDT 2005

--- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I used Gentoo for quite smoe time on a server I ran - the time it took to
> compile was nil compared tot eh amoutn of tie the server just ran.  However
> on
> my current game machine I run Debian Testing.  Just always been more
> cofortable
> with Debian.
>
> However the recent conversation got me looking around and I read some docs on
> Sorcerer.  Just started wondering what is the difference between Sorcerer and
> Gentoo.  It seemed as if I could create some symlinks to cast and auger and
> Gentoo would be Sorcerer or vice versa.
>
> I guess all source based distros really are the same - how do you get a list
> of
> what is the latest souce package and what are dependencies?  Once these
> questions are answered it seems like there aren't too many differences after
> that.

emerge search "packagname"   i.e.
Searching...
[ Results for search key : firefox ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  www-client/mozilla-firefox
      Latest version available: 1.0.6-r7
      Latest version installed: 1.0.6-r2
      Size of downloaded files: 32,065 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

*  www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
      Latest version available: 1.0.6-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 8,030 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox
      License:     MPL-1.1 NPL-1.1

for dependancies: i.e. the full list of things that a package depended on

you'd run "emerge -ep packagename" though this gives a list of EVERY  package
needed to BUILD and run mozilla-firefox, so most of the list will be
development tools..

If on a gentoo system you remove something or an app fails to load after an
update (rare but it happens occasionally) you'd run the command
"revdep-rebuild" which tracks reverse dependancies and broken library linkings
and re-installs any missing items..

> Any sorcerer users here? Funny thing is being a long time gamer I actually
> understood Sorcerer faster than Gentoo:  OK Maybe already having run Gentoo I
> understood what Sorcerer was doing...  Oh well dreams of being the Raistlin
> of
> Linux have vanished into smoke;-)
>
> JJN

> http://mail.yahoo.com