Updating?

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sat Sep 24 16:41:59 EDT 2005

I may need to be corrected, it's been a few weeks since I've looked at
Gentoo's site, but since the release of their newest version...

The minimal CD is basically a rescue CD for crashed systems, and one that
can be used to run linux without installing.

The Package CD I believe is similar to the old Gentoo Stage 1 or Stage 2
CD, I don't recall which, in that, it allows you to get your new linux
system installed faster by installing precompiled packages onto your
system. If you want a quick install, the Package CD is needed.

Then there's the Universal CD, which will get you up and running and ready
to install your system along the way via compiling each piece of software.
This is the long way, and in my personal opinion, the best.

I haven't used the new Gentoo install system yet, as I'm in process of
moving and don't have any time to play :-\  Basically, I would suggest
thoroughly reading the 2005.1 release documentation as it describes the
new installation and booting procedure, as well as the differences between
the three disks.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml

Hope that helps :)

   - Tony