Updating?

ptgoodman ptgrunner at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 11:48:38 EDT 2005

Jesse Jarzynka wrote:

> Ron Maggio wrote:
>
>> I see that the distributions are switching to a annual subscription
>> for updating, what distros are then still offering free updates other
>> then Debian, I think? So which flavors are still truelly free to use?
>>
>> Ron:)

>> http://mail.yahoo.com
>>
>    I think Ubuntu may have been made just for me, lol. It is and will
> always be absolutely free, and of course that means updates. I get new
> updates just about every hour, which is a lot more than any other
> distro I've used. Ubuntu is the most "open" distro I've seen. I love
> the fact that it's Gnome based, starts off very small, and let's you
> add things yourself. Plus the apt repositories are absolutely huge,
> there's nothing I haven't been able to find yet. Read some of the
> reviews, Breezy is awesome. Much faster then Fedora was, and the same
> install is a full 2 gig less bloated.

Hi Ron,

Please don't interpret this as criticism, but... I'm curious as to how
one would benefit from hourly updates. In fact, that rate would seem to
be a drain on time and resources. I understand that one need not install
the updates immediately. But, wouldn't a monthly set of updates be more
efficient and beneficial?

pete