Source Based Distro's.

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Fri Sep 23 05:57:41 EDT 2005

My response would have been EXACTLY like Dave's. I've had Gentoo installed
for
about 2 1/2 years with no problems except for one time when I totally
hosed the system (accidentally uninstalled glibc...don't ask me why). But
taht was totally my
fault, and still recoverable. Just booted the install cd and reinstalled
glibc. The support in the forums is amazing (from fellow users and
developers alike), their package management system is hands-down the best
I've ever used, and because everything is built for your processor it
freakin
flies! My P3 550 here runs faster than my P4 at work running FC3. If you
are looking for a user-friendly install, then don't go source based. But
if you're willing to put a little bit of time and effort into it you will
be amazingly happy with the results.

Note: just so that I'm not misleading in anyway; Gentoo (and I'm assuming
other source distros as well) is not a cakewalk after its installed. Its
not hard, but most every package (except libraries) will have to be
configured. eg. sendmail and xorg will not "just work" out of the box. You
will have to setup the config files. In my opinion, this is the beauty of
Gentoo: You get exactly what you want. But some people don't like this.

-JoshJ
http://lotuseaters.no-ip.com